One priest's response to a common question: “What so special about Alpha and why are we offering it again?”
"One of the advantages of Alpha is that it focuses on Kerygma. In the ancient Church, there was a clear distinction between the Kerygma and the Didache, the catechesis. The Kerygma was the starting point of faith, and the catechesis had to form the faith. But faith in itself blossoms only by hearing the Kerygma."
- Father Raniero Cantalamessa, Preacher to the Papal Household
"Alpha is without doubt a great experience of new evangelisation."
- Archbishop Rino Fisichella, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting The New Evangelisation
"I recommend Alpha; an excellent method for the first proclamation of the gospel."
- Cardinal Raymundo Damasceno, President of the Brazilian Bishop's Conference and Archbishop of Aparecida
"Alpha is for meeting Jesus. What I like in all that I have seen and heard about Alpha is the simplicity. For me, the Christian life has something to do with simplicity, friendship, closeness and joy. That's what I feel about Alpha and I think that's a sign that it works and that it's given from the Lord."
- Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, Archbishop of Vienna, Austria
"I have had the privilege of participating in various Alphas in Quebec and have witnessed how lives are changed and how the participants are touched by the teachings, witnessing and fellowship experienced during the course. The method is simple yet very effective. Small groups are definitely a key role to the success of this tool of the New Evangelisation."
- Cardinal Gérald Lacroix, Archbishop of Quebec, Canada
"Our passion has been of Kerygmatic proclamation - the first announcement which leads a person to acknowledge Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior - by ordinary lay people in the ordinary life of the parish. We bear witness to you that wherever the name of Jesus is proclaimed with faith and love, together with listening and a simple and strong proclamation, the Lord accomplishes marvels; hearts are touched, lives are transformed, parish communities are renewed."
- Marc and Florence de Leyritz, Founders of Alpha France and Chairs of the Global Alpha Catholic Context Board